Friday, July 22, 2011

Teenage Survival Guide #2: WORK HARDER, DUDE.

     This is kind of an awkward thing for me to write about because I do get embarrassed easily.

It goes a little like this: At the 2nd track meet of the season, I had to run a 100 meter sprint. I was having a horrible season and the only thing I was good at was hurdles, I managed to come in 1st or 2nd of everyone of those races that track season.
     After I got put into my heat for my race, I saw three of Ex-Boyfriend #2's friends. The nicest one was about 60 feet away from me on the sidelines. I could hear them betting on who was going to win. What they didn't know is I could hear every word they were saying.

In a nutshell: Ex-Boyfriend's friend said "Missy is gonna come in last." That ticked me off REALLY bad. They continued talking about me, which made me even more mad.

What I imagined would happen: The dude shot the gun (the signal for "GO"), I ran as fast as I could and at least came in 2nd. Ex-Boyfriend's friends felt dumb.

What really happened: The dude shot the gun. We all took off, I fell behind all of them, got nervous and slightly twisted my ankle. It wasn't too bad of a twist, I could still run and I didn't fall, but I kept running with the slight sting in the joint of my ankle. I came in last.
    At the finish line, I was NOT happy. I was about ready to go beat up Ex-Boyfriend's friend. My ankle still kinda hurt and I wanted to punch something because I got up a lot of confidence to run the race even tho this season I wasn't as fast as the years before. I was NOT  a happy girl. Then Boyfriend comes up and tries to calm me down as I swear that I will punch Ex-Boyfriend's friend for talking crap about me. He wasn't very happy either but he wanted to make sure I was OK.
     When I got in the car with my dad, I cried because I was so mad. Now I realize it wasn't that big of a deal but at the time it seemed like it.

     What I learned: Never talk about someone if they are less than a mile away from you. Push yourself and really work to get the results you want. In track practice, practice for ALL of your events. Not just a couple... Most importantly, stay confident and don't let the guy who wins every race get to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment