Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Teenage Survival Guide #1: Awkward situations with someone you like

Ok, back when I was in 7th grade I liked this guy. Let's call him...uh... Kip. Ok, Kip. Anyways, I met Kip one day walking home from school with my strange and also socially awkward, yet popular among the guys friend. I didn't exactly meet him, he just turned around to say something to us and after that I developed a random little crush on him.

In a nutshell: I for some reason wanted him to know I liked him. We had never even talked before.

My solution: At the middle school dance right before Thanksgiving break I had my best friend (the one I mentioned earlier, we'll call her Steak Sauce.... what? She likes steak, stop looking at me like that...) go up and tell him that I liked him. Steak Sauce eventually found him in the midst of the random dancing 13 and 14 year olds.

What I imagined would happen: Steak Sauce: "My friend likes you." Kip: "Which one?" Steak Sauce: *Points to me* "Her" Kip: "Oh my gosh, what a beauty... of course I'll go out with her." *Dramatic music and fog* *Kip and I running towards eachother with cheesy romantic music. I jump into his arms and he spins me around* <--Just kidding that last part I just added to make this seem more interesting. Kip and I live happily ever after.

What really happend: Steak Sauce: "Will you go out with my friend?" Kip: "Which one?" Steak Sauce: "Her" *points to me* Kip: "Uhhh... no... I'm too young?" After that my self esteem dropped from a high level to an extremely low level.

What happened later: I was walking home from school alone. It was early February, and everyone was getting hyped up over Valentines Day and stuff.  Kip was in front of me with his friends and turned around and saw me. Then he stopped me and asked me what I wanted from him. I froze up, heart beating, palms sweating. "Uh..I..I wanted to be your friend...."  at this point it was obvious he thought I was weird, ugly and creepy. I then just kinda ran home.

What I've learned: Make sure you get to know someone before asking them out. When I went to 8th grade I realized I didn't really like him. So if you like someone, simpily just get to know them and things might happen... if not, you've still made a friend. It's less likely to work out if you two have nothing in common. He's a smart straight A student and I'm a A and B student in an advanced English class, who sucks at math and he would probably think I'm an idiot if he knew that.

No comments:

Post a Comment